Halloween: All About the Treating
It’s Halloween week! A holiday stolen from across the pond, but the general consensus seems to be that it’s a time to eat lots of sweets and chocolate for absolutely no recognisable reason. And who are we to argue with that? Back in the day, this would mean highly competitive competitions about who could get the most candy from neighbours, and a closely guarded map of which houses have the best offerings each year. Nowadays we tend to prefer staying in to roaming the streets for candy or spectating the various bunny costumes seen in bars, but this doesn’t mean we want to miss out on the sweet treats, and there’s nothing more enjoyable than themed sweet treats after all!
Our pumpkin cookies are not only delicious, but they’re also super easy to make, completely mess free and make for a fun activity with friends and family too! Along with some fun, healthy, halloween themed smoothies and shakes, your sweet tooth will be well and truly satisfied, just without the sugar crash a few hours later!
TEFF + PEANUT BUTTER PUMPKIN COOKIES
-1 1/2 cups teff flour
-1/2 cup almond meal
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp ginger
-1/4 tsp turmeric
-1/4 cup coconut oil
-1/3 cup rice malt syrup/maple syrup/honey
-1/4 cup peanut butter
-6 prunes or cranberries to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 200C
2. Combine the teff flour, almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric
3. Add the egg, coconut oil (solid, not melted) and rice malt syrup and combine using a fork
4. Once the mixture in incorporated and ‘crumbly’, form a dough using your hands
5. Take a small handful of dough at a time and roll into a ball
6. Press flat using your palms to create a ‘pumpkin’ shape then add to a lined baking tray
7. Repeat 8 times
8. Place the prunes at the top of each cookie to create the 'stalk' and press down slightly so it is secured in place
9. Decorate the pumpkins by carving lines using a sharp knife as well as cutting the eyes and mouth out (don’t worry too much about how neat it is!)
10. Bake on the top shelf for 10-12 minutes.