The London Porridge Championships
Here at pollen + grace we’re big fans of porridge. It’s comforting, satisfying and homely, like a hug in a bowl and it’s a very rare occasion that a day goes past without at least one bowl being consumed - we’ve even been known to eat porridge on the beach before. But there’s really no better time for porridge than winter - when you’re up before the sun, wishing that the heating worked better and pulling on yet another jumper, there’s nothing better than a hot, steaming bowl of oats. And lets face it, how can you get bored of it when there’s so many different toppings and flavours to try?
Understandably, we were therefore really excited when we heard about the London porridge championships hosted by Rude Health. A whole morning dedicated to all things porridge? Who can say no to that! We were thrilled to be cooking alongside a line up of such talented people as well such as The Detox Kitchen, La Fromagerie and Snaps & Rye - particularly when we found out that we’d also get to try their porridge! Obviously it would also require some taste testing in the kitchen beforehand too so it’s safe to say everyone at pollen + grace were quite excited!
The event was held at Whole Foods Kensington, and was truly a porridge lovers paradise. We had 20 minutes to serve 3 bowls of porridge which would be judged on taste, presentation, texture and creativity.
Our final entrant was a coconut and chia seed porridge topped with ginger, cardamon, lemon + beetroot poached pears, blackberries, coconut yoghurt, pistachios and bee pollen, the recipe for which can be found below. And just in case you’re in need of some more porridge inspiration, we’ve also racked our brains to decide on what our all time favourite porridge flavours are - a harder task than you’d think!
Steph: Oat + chia seed cinnamon porridge topped with figs, coconut yoghurt, almond butter, honey + seeds
Kris: Honey and cinnamon oat porridge topped with apple, strawberries, blueberries, roasted coconut and honey
Hazel: Chocolate + date oat porridge topped with banana and blueberries
Kerry: Vanilla + nutmeg oat porridge topped with cinnamon stewed apples, coconut yoghurt, almond butter + toasted pecans
COCONUT AND CHIA SEED PORRIDGE TOPPED WITH GINGER, CARDAMON, LEMON + BEETROOT POACHED PEARS, BLUEBERRIES, COCONUT YOGHURT, PISTACHIOS AND BEE POLLEN
100g GF Oats
4 x dates
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Maple Syrup
100ml coconut cream
400ml coconut milk
1 Conference Pear
1/4 cup filtered water
1/2 cup Beetroot Juice
2 x Cardamom pods
1cm Ginger, sliced
1/2 Lemon, Juiced
1/2 tbsp Maple Syrup
Garnish (per person):
1 Tablespoon crushed pistachios
1/2 tsp bee pollen
50g coconut yoghurt
1. Combine the filtered water, beetroot juice, cardamon, ginger, lemon and maple syrup in a pan over a low heat
2. Peel the pears and add them to the liquid, then cover
3. Carefully remove the pears then leave the liquid over a medium heat for a further 5 minutes to reduce
4. Cut the pears in half lengthways then thinly slice each half from 1/4 of a way down the pear, then carefully fan them out
5. In a separate pan over a medium heat, add the coconut milk and and boil.
5. Add in the oats, chia seeds, coconut cream, vanilla, maple syrup and dates and stir
6. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously until desired thickness is reached
7. Pour into two bowls, add the coconut yoghurt, followed by the pear half, juice, blueberries, pistachios and bee pollen.