Christmas: Healthy Festive Cocktails
We're not entirely sure how or when it happened, but it seems December is already well under way and the calendar is looking pretty packed with all things festive - all things festive meaning drinking, eating and being generally merry, what a wonderful time of the year! I think our bodies may slightly disagree though, and a week or so into a schedule of turkey, party platters and prosecco, a green juice really wouldn’t go amiss. Now don't get me wrong, we're all for balance and doing what makes you happy (it’s common courtesy to have a second serving of cake at christmas) but I’m sure we can all agree that the enjoyment always feels that much better when you know you're body is enjoying it too!
And obviously missing out on the festivities and celebrations of Christmas because you don't want to disrupt the health kick is definitely not where we're about, which is why we're here to present to middle ground. The answer to how to enjoy yourself, kick back, relax but still get in your superfood’s and five a day: healthy christmas cocktails. We've come up with three delicious christmas cocktails packed full of natural ingredients and superfoods, all with a festive twist making them the ideal Christmas tipple much to the enjoyment of both you and your body. You’re welcome.
-2 Cups Almond Milk
-5 Medjool Dates, pitted
-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
-1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-3 tsp chia seeds
-2 shots of bourbon
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
2. Store in the fridge for 10-20 minutes to thicken slightly
3. Pour into 2 glasses, sprinkle with grated nutmeg and serve.
MULBERRY MULLED WINE
2 bottles of red wine
6 whole cloves
4 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick
One whole nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup dried mulberries
2 clementines, juiced
2 shots of dark rum
1. Put a large pan over a low heat and add the wine, cloves, star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, mulberries and clementine juice
2. Leave the mixture to slowly heat and infuse for 15-20 minutes then add the rum and stir in before serving immediately
SPICED PEAR + GINGER COCKTAIL
- 3 shots of dark rum
- 8oz fresh pear juice or 4 pears, juiced
- 1 tsp grated ginger or 1/4 knob of ginger, juiced
- 1 cup of ice
- 4 slices of pear for decoration
1. Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake until combined
2. Strain the mixture into 2 tumblers then add the sliced pear and a sprinkle of cinnamon to decorate.