Seasonal Ingredient of the Week: Savoy Cabbage
Much like it’s purple partner, savoy cabbage is a popular vegetable in the pollen + grace kitchen. Shredded, it makes the perfect addition to crunchy, green salads and the leaves also make for a great burger bun alternative. They’re also delicious cooked in warm dishes, ideal for winter’s evening.
For the best, choose dark green cabbages that have firm, crisp leaves and feel solid and heavy. They’re best from October - February, and conveniently pair really well with other seasonal vegetables and meat this time of year.
Savoy cabbage is also proven to be one of the best sources of cancer preventing vitamins, as well as being packed full of phytonutrient antioxidants which will work wonders for your body as well as help fight off those pesky winter colds.
We’ve put together some of our best tips and tricks for cooking with cabbage below to help you on your way!
- One of our favourite ways to cook cabbage in the evening is braising it with other delicious flavours and spices. Simply remove the core and shred thinly, then saute in a pan over a low heat with coconut oil, garlic, shallots and seasoning for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer until almost evaporated then cover and leave for 30 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and orange before serving for a festive twist.
- Shredded cabbage is also a great addition to stir fries and lends itself particularly well to asian flavours, stir fry finely shredded cabbage with garlic, ginger, tamari and a little sesame oil - delicious served with chicken or salmon.
- A popular greek dish is also Lahanodolmathes (stuffed cabbage rolls). Although quite fiddly to make, the end result is well worth it!
- We also love using lightly steamed or raw cabbage leaves as a bun for our clean burgers, the ideal option if you'd rather skip the bread bun!
- Raw cabbage is also the perfect addition to clean, crunchy green salads and will leave you feeling healthy and glowing! Try a slaw of shredded cabbage, carrot and apple with a miso dressing for a delicious lunch.