Finding Your Healthy

Don't eat grains. Turning vegan will make you lose weight. Superfoods are a myth. High fat low carb builds muscle. You should eat more than 2000 calories a day. Cut calories to lose weight: the health industry is full of a lot of information - each statement contradicting the next. Even as a healthy food company, we are often confused by the amount of information being thrown at us. There seems to be a new cookbook, a new craze and a new way to eat every month each bringing with it a new set of rules and a cult following who 'swear by it'. And it's becoming increasingly difficult to separate the fact from fiction: if it's published in a respectable magazine, surely it's legit right? Remember the sirt-food diet tipped to be the craze of 2016 - probably the biggest proof of the year that a story in a magazine is just that: a story. 

So how do you filter through the information, take what you need and find what works for you? Here's our tips to help. 

KNOW YOUR BODY 

Some people say that if you eat 40 bananas a day and 1kg of rice you'll lose weight. Some say that if you eat no carbs, and load up on protein and fats you'll lose weight. We know people that have tried both - neither successful (the opposite in fact). But it's clearly working for the girls in those videos. So does that mean they're lying? Probably not. It just means that everyone's body, metabolism and digestive system are completely different. And seeing as you know your body better than anyone, you're probably the best judge. If eating fruit too often bloats you, eating 40 banana's a day is probably not the best idea. And the same goes if your body doesn't react well to rich food: no matter how good those fats, they're not going to be good for you. Just because someone say's it's good, doesn't mean it's good for you. 

IF IT'S A QUICK FIX, IT PROBABLY WON'T WORK 

A quick fix diet is the dream, right? But as with all good things, it takes time. If something claims instant change, chances are that instant change will be the same in reverse once you finish. In fact if something calls itself a diet in the first place, it's probably best to avoid it: as much as 'lifestyle change' is quickly becoming a buzzword for mocking the millennial generation, it's still pretty accurate. And then there's the all important fact that a healthy outside doesn't mean a healthy inside. And a healthy inside is much, much more rewarding than a quick fix flat stomach. 

CHOOSE YOUR JUICE AND STICK TO IT 

Being paleo one week, vegan the next then trying 80:20 the week after is going to do nothing more than completely confuse your digestive system. There's nothing wrong in trialling something new: if you notice grains make you feel a bit heavy - trial paleo, if dairy products aren't working - ditch them, but do this for a minimum of one month, and do it based on your body: not based on trends. 

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE 

What does research prove? That eating natural, wholesome foods that haven't been processed, modified or changed is good for you. That the human body is designed to digest whole foods, found in nature. It's really quite simple, and if you stick to it you can't go too wrong. If a diet it telling you to eat low fat products, low calorie options and processed ingredients, they probably care more about your outside than your insides. Trust us, in the long run the high fat option is better. 

HAVE FUN 

Probably the most important advice: just don't stress about it. Eat delicious food. Eat food that you know is good for you 80% of the time (if it comes from a tree or the soil, hasn't been produced in a factory and doesn't have an ingredients list you can't pronounce you're doing well) and exercise regularly. And as for the other 20%, that's for red wine, g&t's, dinners with friends, and that piece of cake you need for your sanity.