Seasonal Ingredient of the Week: Carrots
As popular in sweet as they are in savoury, carrots definitely take the title for one of the most diverse vegetables. With a revamp and makeover, gone are the days of over boiled diced or sliced carrots (usually picked out or left on the side), carrots are now the centre point in dishes such as spiced carrot fritters, spiralised carrot noodles and a staple in any roast vegetable dish, not to mention the continuously popular carrot cake.
Although most commonly found in their distinctive bright orange colour, you can also find white and purple varieties (they were traditionally purple until they were changed in the middle ages). They're high in beta-carotene which is great for eye health, and are at their best from May through to Mid-October.
- With the recent change in seasons, we'll start with what has become dinner most nights recently. Carrots are the perfect based for a crazy veg based soup, and there's not beating the popular carrot and cumin flavour pairing. Roast with garlic and onion (we add aubergine to the mix too to make it extra creamy), season, then blitz with a dash of coconut milk.
- Carrot fritters make for a great alternative to sweet potato too. Shred your carrot then season and mix with eggs and brown rice flour. Fry in a little coconut oil and serve.
- We love a fresh slaw, and our go to combination is shredded carrot, red cabbage and apple. Mix through a mix of coconut yoghurt, miso and turmeric then serve
- There simple to make, but still too good to leave off. For a twist on regular roast carrots, we like to cut ours into thin strips, cover in a mix of tahini, coconut oil and paprika and bake.
- Let's not forget about sweet too. Carrot cake is a long standing favourite, and so easy to health up! We like to add fresh pineapple to our mix too for extra natural sweetness, and top with a cashew cream frosting.
- No time for baking? Replicate your favourite cake via your porridge. Just add shredded carrot and apple, along with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Delicious!