Recipe: Bavette Steak + Roast Carrot Salad
We first made this salad back in 2016, and it was one of the first times we set up a little makeshift studio (a table in front of a window) and properly shot a product because of how beautiful it was. Quite a lot has changed since then, but the beauty of this salad hasn't. We have a thing about pink in HQ, and the combination of the dressing and meat, with the brightness of the carrots and greens really makes this salad pop. It's also so simple to make, yet easy to impress guests with. A dinner party essential we like to think.
Bavette Steak + Roast Carrot Salad
Gluten free | Wheat free | Dairy free | Refined sugar free
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Cut the carrots in half, lengthways.
3. Place on a baking tray with a dash of olive oil and Himalayan salt, enough to lightly coat them. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
4. Place the quinoa in a pot with 150ml water.
5. Place on the hob, on a medium heat and cook until the water has completely evaporated. Take the pot off the heat and put the lid on for 5 minutes – this helps the quinoa to become light and fluffy.
6. Sear the steak for 2-3minutes on either side then place in the oven on a 150C for 25mins - this is for a medium-rare steak. Cook for longer based on your own preferences of if the steak is particularly thick.
7. For the dressing, peel and chop the beetroot, and add to a blender along with all the dressing ingredient. Blitz until completely smooth.
8. Cover the petit pois in warm water to defrost them if necessary, then drain well.
9. Mix the cooked quinoa, rocket, carrots, lemon zest, mint leaves and petit pois together. Top with thinly sliced bavette steak and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
10. Serve the dressing on the side for maximum effect!
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 bavette steaks – roughly 100g each
- 100g uncooked white quinoa
- 8 x baby carrots
- 30g petit pois
- 10 mint leaves
- A pinch of lemon thyme (optional)
- 2 generous handfuls of rocket, washed
- zest of 1 lemon
- black sesame seeds for garnish
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 raw beetroot
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 50ml apple cider vinegar
- 20 ml water