Recipe: Apple + Rhubarb Quinoa Bircher
We've been eager to talk about all things spring, and how much we love the seasonal produce and sunny evenings for so long now, but we have to keep delaying our eager musings and hope that maybe next week that thick layer of grey covering the UK will have finally disappeared... it's been about 4 weeks of waiting now so we're just gonna talk about it anyway - hopefully it will coax spring out of hiding? Seasonal spring breakfasts are a thing of glory and the one above certainly doesn't disappoint. Batch cooking quinoa for the week is always a great idea for quick lunches and dinners, so we wanted to figure out how it could fit into breakfast too - turns out bircher and quinoa have been calling out for each other all this time, and the relationship is only strengthened by the age old flavour combo of apple and rhubarb. Prep this ahead and it will quite happily carry you through for at least 3 breakfasts over the working week. Enjoy!
APPLE + RHUBARB QUINOA BIRCHER
Gluten free | Wheat free | Dairy free | Refined sugar free | Vegan
We recommend making this bircher the night before, so it has a long time to really soak up the flavours, but it also works if you make it pre-work, then eat it when you get to your desk!
1. Add the rhubarb to a large saucepan with 1/2 cup water and 1 tbsp maple syrup. Stew on a medium heat, stirring often for about 10-15 minutes or until it is soft.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the quinoa, grated apple, oats, maple syrup, coconut yoghurt, dairy free milk, pistachios and figs.
2. Store the bircher mix in the fridge for at least one hour, or up to 24hrs.
3. To serve, add the bircher to a bowl, then top with the rhubarb compote, fresh berries and a sprinkle of pistachios
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 apples, grated
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt*
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried figs, sliced
- 1 pack rhubarb
- A handful of berries
*We recommend using nush coconut yoghurt for a lighter taste, or coyo if you really want a super creamy bircher