Seasonal Ingredient of the Week: Pomegranate
We love pomegranate in pollen HQ (let's just role with this love theme, yeah?). A pomegranate sprinkle on a salad has been our signature move since day one - adding not only a beautiful burst of colours but also a refreshing pop of flavour. Whether it be a simple spinach salad or an all singing all dancing falafel/hummus/dressing extravaganza, a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds can do no wrong. And thanks to their and year long seasonality, they're a welcome boost of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals come rain or shine.
With a hard blushed red skin, pomegranates are filled with vibrant, juicy ruby coloured sacs (the correct term, albeit not the most enticing). For the best, pick unblemished, shiny pomegranates that are heavy in weight.
- Sick of tediously picking out each seed? We use hundreds of pomegranates a month, so we feel you! Our best tip? Cut the pomegranate in half and submerge in water then push on the sides to release all the seeds which will then float to the top!
- Pomegranate seeds are the perfect addition to any salad. Simply sprinkle a handful over your salad for a fruity burst in every mouthful - we particularly like to add them alongside creamy elements, such as hummus or tahini dressing.
- Salads aren't just restricted to cold options either. We love roast cauliflower and warm chickpeas spiced with harissa and mixed through salad leaves - pomegranate seeds are the perfect addition.
- Pomegranate also works really well with warm evening meals. Try lamb cutlets marinated in moroccan spices (sumac/cumin/paprika) with fresh kale tabbouleh and pomegranate seeds.
- Add a handful to your morning juice or smoothie, just a couple of our favourite combinations are pear, pomegranate, cucumber and mint or carrot, red pepper, pomegranate and lemon - a refreshing start to the day!
- Wanting to jazz up your avo toast? Pomegranate seeds are the perfect addition to your weekend staple!