Seasonal Ingredient of the Week: Cherries
We may now be reaching the end of cherry season, but we’re not there quite yet! The perfect transitional fruit, cherries pair as well with summery flavours, whether it be in large jugs of homemade cocktails or blended into smoothies just as well as they do in autumnal pies and compotes. Replace the strawberry and peaches of last season with apples, figs and plums and you’ll be over those ‘end of summer’ blues in no time.
Pick out plump, brightly coloured fruit to get the most taste, and with cherries getting stronger in taste towards the end of the season, now is the perfect time to grab those last standing punnets! And more than just a sweet taste, they’re packed with antioxidants and fibre, with great anti-inflammatory properties.
- Raw, they make the perfect addition to smoothies, adding a perfectly sweet taste. We like a mix of cherries, almond mylk, almond butter and vanilla with a couple of dates to sweeten.
- Working on those autumnal vibes, try slowly stewing them - cherry compote has endless uses! Use as a porridge topper, similar to our cherry + almond porridge pot, pour over pancakes or french toast, or bake into galettes, crumbles or pies.
- Following on with those galettes, crumbles and pies, cherry pairs perfectly with other fruits in these autumnal dessert staples. Try stewing it with figs, apples, pears or plums for a delicious combo.
- Even autumn is salad season for us. Half your cherries and mix through a salad of rocket, roast squash, quinoa and pistachios. Simply top with a creamy tahini dressing and serve.
- Cocktails aren’t just limited to the summer, fruity variety either. Cherry pairs perfectly with more autumnal bourbon flavours - try a mix of cherries, lime, honey, orange bitters and bourbon, simply mix, strain and serve!
- And let's not forget about a chocolate and cherry combination. Replace strawberries with cherries to make a cherry chia jam and use in the middle of chocolate cake, or bake the cherries into a chocolate brownie mixture.
- We're eager to try our hand at a raw vegan cherry bakewell slice too - a classic made healthy! Keep your eyes peeled for more recipe experiments heading this way soon…