Recipe: Grapefruit + Thyme Granita
Throwback to just a couple of months ago and we can still vividly remember sitting in our little archway office, looking out at the rain and wondering if we would ever feel the heat of the sun on our skin again. Never (EVER) could we have imagined what was to come. This summer has been the longest, most magically hot summer in London any of us have ever experienced and it has been divine. The kind of weather where we eat al fresco every evening, wish that London was a coastal city and live for ice cold juices, granita's and sorbets - in other words, how we hope every summer will be.
Granita has become our evening go-to; perfect for when you're both alone and entertaining. It's easy and requires no equipment other than an inexpensive blender, a freezer, a fork and a little bit of fore-thought - simply freeze the night before for granita the following day.
Of all the flavours we've tried this summer (a lot) pink grapefruit and thyme has been our favourite, but the base of this recipe can be applied to literally any fruit - we've popped a few more flavours at the bottom to keep you fuelled until the end of summer.
+ THYME GRANITA
- 3 large pink grapefruits
- 300ml water
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 4 tbsp honey
1. Add the water, thyme and honey to a pan over a low heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain the thyme from the sugar syrup.
2. Cut the skin from the grapefruit and add the fruit to a blender. Blitz until smooth. Add the sugar syrup to the blender and blitz until fully combined
3. Remove from the blender and pour into a shallow tray. Freeze for 3-4 hours or until fully frozen (overnight works well!)
4. Scratch the ice with a fork until you’ve raked through all of it
5. Serve immediately or place back in the freezer for 1hr before serving for a harder consistency
- To serve, simply scoop into glasses and top with grapefruit wedges. It also pairs well with a creamy element - make a simple coconut milk sorbet or chia pudding and layer on top of this for example.
For the fruity types:
- The Classic: melon granita; honeydew is our fave but watermelon is #summergoals
- Citrus Mistress: A simple Sicilian orange granita is the perfect alternative to nostalgic orange ice pops. Summer isn't summer without it.
- Green Goddess: we love how refreshing cucumber is in summer; throw in mint and a bit of apple for sweetness and you're a shot of gin away from boozy granita goals.
- High Summer: Passionfruit is the pinnacle of summer flavours (for us at least). Combine with basil and coconut water for the ultimate summer granita
FRUIT NOT YOUR THING?
- Caffeine Hit: Coffee granita is the new affogato. Half coffee granita + half coconut milk granita has been our summer dinner party staple.
- Matcha Time: Coconut milk + matcha granita is basically our iced matcha latte on steroids. We imagine it's equally great using chai spices too.